Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Day 13: Windsurfing lesson


It's going to be hard to top the Road to Hana, but today is the day for my long awaiting wind surfing debut! 

Last year, we had just pulled into the parking lot when we learned Sandy's Mom had passed away and instead of a day on the water we were on the first flight back. Now we have come full circle.

Before we hit the road, we stopped by the Royal Scoop, an ice cream parlor on the property of the Royal Lahaina that also sells a few breakfast items and smoothies.

The Action Sports Maui van is easy to spot when we get to Kanaha Beach. Soon we are joined by the rest of the newbies -- a teenage boy and an older Asian gentleman who's already had a few lessons -- and we start going over the gear before heading down to the beach.


One of the instructors helping me get started (and yes, his shorts were always just barely clinging to his hips hehe)



Followed by A LOT of this:


And this:

While initially getting back on the board from deep water and pulling the sail out of the water might not seem too difficult, it definitely gets harder as your body starts to tire (and your already mangled toes loose yet another layer, ouch!)

But it's pretty cool when you get it right



Never managed to really grasp how to change directions without dunking myself. Just look at that awkward stance haha!


Storm brewing over the mountains while I'm venturing out a little ways


Although not as fun as (wave) surfing, I had a good time and hopefully will get to do it again sometime, but the lesson itself was a bit of a letdown. At times the instructions were a bit unclear because the instructor would hop on a board while explaining things and sail off, only for the rest of his words to get eaten by the wind. Still I got some nice rides in!

Towards late morning the seas start getting rougher and the experts come out to play. The make it look so easy!




Feeling bad for Sandy being "stuck" at the beach all morning?

Don't!

She loves hanging out at the beach watching me make a fool of myself and Kanaha Beach is not a bad place to hang out:
Notice the plane rising above the trees? The beach is very close to Kahului airport and if you land on a good afternoon you can see the kite surfers shredding it from the plane.

Remember how stormy it looked over the mountains just a little bit ago? All gone! Maui weather is crazy.


On our way back we drive past what will later be one of our favorite Maui restaurants: Leoda's Kitchen and Pie Shop. Check it out sometime if you can: right off the road about 5 miles before Lahaina.



They focus on farm fresh, sustainable foods and freshly baked breads ... the result is amazing! My club sandwich was sooo good! I can't wait to go back and try out some other things on the menu because it all sounds yummy.


Never mind that I just stuffed myself: time for some Ululani's! Shave ice is almost all water and it's important to stay hydrated, right?


Back at the hotel I change out of my windsurfing outfit and into a more suitable "Sheraton do" before walking to Black Rock. Fancy-schmancy: I snorkel in style!


Every day the Sheraton holds a (free) ceremonial sunset ceremony in which a young warrior runs through the property lighting all the torches before diving headfirst off the cliff. What a way to end the day!

I'm not a 100% if we saw it today or another day, but since today is light on pictures I'll include it here

The Sheraton produced a great video about the ceremony (click YouTube in the bottom right for a bigger picture):


My now wet, fancy-schmancy tankini is quite chilly with the wind coming from the ocean and I try to hurry along wrapped up in a towel, but can't stop myself from whipping out my phone for a picture of these orange clouds obscuring the top of the West Maui Mountains.


View in the other direction


Feeling brave I decide to tackle the mysterious over-sized passion fruit ... my dreams are quickly squashed. Definitely not passion fruit! And the taste? I very passionately hate it!


Oblivious to my gagging Sandy refuses to waste even a second of light and heads out to the lanai where the luau is just getting started. It's not a great view, but it's free and we get to hear all our Hawaiian favorites again ... what a treat!


I woke up in the middle of the night to this beautiful scene (picture doesn't do it justice):




2 comments:

  1. It looks so wonderfull windsurfing. It's a pity it's so difficult. I should love to try it. Maybe if I do some workouts? Dream on Joeve, maybe in your next life!
    I have the ululani's picture in a frame in the livingroom. There's something strange about this picture, it looks as if your playing in Miami vice or working for the FBI.
    That's a very nice custom, the ceremonial sunset.
    Orange clouds above what looks like a golfcourse. Very unreal. Hawai looks like the best place to take pictures. There are so many beautiful things there.
    He, there's that fruit again, it does look like a passion fruit.
    Best picture ever: The night scene, it stirs a lot of memories.
    This was a very nice day.
    Lotts of kisses,

    Joeve

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never say never ... the Asian gentleman had to be in his 60s and he was having a blast!

    ReplyDelete