Friday, February 8, 2013

Day 1: Waikiki and Diamond Head

Aloha my friends!

We have finally made it ... what a joy to wake up in beautiful Hawaii.

The Gateway backs onto one of the main throughfares in Waikiki, but when we step out on the lanai it's surprisingly quiet with the lush tropical trees blocking most of the noise. A little pigeon is keeping us company as we enjoy the first of many ABC store breakfasts to come. They're a little different every time, but usually I get some weird tropical flavor of yogurt, some tropical drink like POM you can't get on the mainland, a cheese stick and some fresh fruit. Ahhh so nice to just sit there and enjoy being back here.

We only have one full day in Waikiki so to make the most of it we have to get an early start. After breakfast we walk towards the Hilton for the feeding of the penguins (yes, we are repeating some of our favorites of last year!).




More Hilton animal encounters

It's still early when we get there so I make a bee-line for the ocean. Waikiki Beach looks so nice in the soft morning light!



Penguin feeding time! It's a guy this time -- not as personable as the woman who did it last year, but there's penguins so who cares?

Ok, this makes me think of Four Tops :)



Penguin love!!!

At the end we again get to "pet a penguin" and feed the fish/turtles.



Waterfall scaling turtle is at it again!

Since it's still early we decide to walk a ways along the beach towards the harbor and we find the Hilton lagoon. Not much going on at this time of day ...



The water is so clear by the harbor! We watch two surfer girls enter the water but unfortunately it breaks quite a ways out so it's hard to watch the surfing action here.




When we walk back an Asian couple is having their picture taken in their wedding do's ... pretty cool!



On the way back to the hotel we decide to duck into Fort de Russy Park. All this time we've just walked past it so it's past time for a visit. To be honest there's not a whole lot going on but there are nice wide mangrove??? trees. We also pass like 3 ABC stores in just as many blocks lol.




Last time we somehow missed out on hiking Diamond Head. Forget how that happened, but I'm not about to let it happen again so today is the day. They say to get there early or parking gets very problematic because there's only a tiny parking lot and not much parking nearby. First we wait in line to get admitted onto the lot, where we join several cars already circling the lot like vultures fighting over one mouse. It takes quite a while before we time things just right and we're able to slide into a newly vacated slot. Phew.



It's quite a nice hike with a set of killer stairs at the end. I may or may not have forgotten to mention those to Sandy and she does not look too pleased. But all is forgotten once we get to the top! Fantastic 360 views!



 
Unfortunately it is super crowded up there so you have to be patient to get that "look at me, I'm atop Diamond Head!" shot. Here's ours:





I spot an adorable red topped lighthouse down by the ocean. Didn't know there was a lighthouse there but now that I've seen it I really want to get a better look at it so I'm already trying to figure out how to get there.

The way down seems a lot easier. I decide to reward myself with some shave ice from a vendor by the parking lot. Uh oh, I must be getting spoiled because this one is nothing like what I remembered. Still we sit down on one of the park benches and watch the mongoose running through the grass. Like rats but cuter.



Getting to the lighthouse turns out to be a lot easier than we thought and we're able to park not too far from it. It doesn't look like much from the road to be honest, but there's a nice little beach down there so we might as well check it out while we're there.



Christmas themed heiau?

Great little spot down here! Sandy relaxes on the beach as I rip off my shirt and sprint into the ocean ... sportstop and shorts counts as a bathing suit right? Ahhhh now I feel so much better. I think I might have saltwater running through my veins.

Hey wait, what's that? After a little walk along the shore we are suddenly rewarded with an amazing view of the lighthouse.



We hit a wall after walking in the other direction for a while

 
Back in Waikiki, we freshen up at the room, then head to another favorite; the buffet at the Prince Hotel.



Yessss, my sushi man is waiting for me! Endless rolls made to order ... I may now die and go to heaven, or burst, I'm not sure. Btw, they do have all kinds of food but it's the sushi that keeps us coming back.



We are so lucky to be here today of all days because the Hilton has a firework show on Fridays. I get a couple of cool shots of the hotel by night, then the show starts WOW! I love fireworks. Last year we only caught the tail end of it from our hotel room so I'm glad this year we were prepared!

Love the lights




Ugh, seriously tired now and we need to get up reaallly early tomorrow so once the show is done we call it a night.

Breakfast: ABC store
Snack: Shave ice at Diamond Head
Dinner: Prince Court hotel buffet

Hotel: Waikiki Gateway Hotel

No comments:

Post a Comment