Monday, February 25, 2013

Day 18: Last day - snorkeling Two Step

Our last day on Hawaii :-(

We sleep in a bit and wake to another gorgeous day and head straight to Lava Java where I, predictably, get my Waipio Stack and Sandy orders a Basic scrambled sausage breakfast.

I wanted to get my picture taking on Forrest´s bench two days ago, but it was already too dark so here it is:



 Last time hanging out on the lanai ... do we really have to leave?


With our bags all packed we drive to Pu'uhonau o Honaunau National Park for some snorkeling. At one time you used to be able to actually snorkel in the park itself, but they no longer allow that. Luckily it's just a short walk from their parking lot to the dive spot known as Two Step.



Two "steps" (lava shelves) shown in the picture below, make it easier to get in and out of the bay. When in doubt, watch and see where the majority of people are entering the water or you could be in for a rough trip over jagged lava rock and sea urchins.

Disclaimer: I have seen some very rough sees here and if you hardly see anyone else out there ask yourself why. Even on the steps I've seen people getting smashed around by the waves unable to get out, until finally getting pulled to safety by bystanders. As always: if in doubt, don't go out! Also, the lower step is very worn and sea urchins have taken up residence in the holes that have developed, so watch what you're doing!



Yours truly entering the water from the steps. I get cold easily so you'll often see me wearing my wet suit vest to be able to stay out even longer.




We were blessed by not one, but two turtles visiting the shallow pools at the edge.





You can just make out the turtle in the water to the right of Sandy


I even made a little movie: it starts with one of the turtles gliding by through calm water and ends with the other turtle fighting the surf, determined to keep eating his limu (seaweed).

(Best viewed in 720+HD on YouTube)


Although I don't have pictures to share with you, I want to tell you about one of my snorkeling dreams coming true: I saw an octopus! This is something I've been looking for for a long time and to actually see one was amazing ... I even made a movie where you can see it swim and change colors. Sigh. Next time ...

Lunch break! Time to finish off the rest of the passion fruit I bought at the farmers' market as well as yesterday's rambutan. I cut one of them so that you can see that not only do they taste a lot like lychees, they also look a lot alike.




The coral here is pretty amazing with lots of different fish. To get an impression you can check out some of the pictures I took last year here (scroll down to the end of the post).

One of my favorite animals you'll find in the tide pools are these tiny creatures called Feeble Shrimp. Nearly translucent with tiny specks of black and white they blend in very well with their environment as you can see in the picture below (dead center about 1/3 way from the top).



Look at how the waves have changed since we first arrived.


We walk back to the National Park where I change into a set of dry clothes. Our plane will leave in several hours and we still need to eat, but the late afternoon light is begging me to take a few pictures before we go.



The royal grounds
 

Ki'i - wooden carvings of the gods.


Solitude among the palm trees.


It's not vacation until you hug a palm tree!


Spotted this little red crab shell on a rock.



A quick picture through the car window of our last Hawaiian sunset during the drive up the coast.




For dinner we turn into the Honokohau Marina to visit another favorite: Bite Me fish market, bar & grill. This no-frills place sells some of the best fish tacos out there and with its fast service it's the perfect way to end our trip. Plus it's nice to look at all the boats while you're eating.



This has been the most amazing trip. Somehow I've fallen even more in love with these beautiful islands ... I haven't even left and already I'm trying to figure out when we can come back.

I'll end this with a picture not of Hawaii, but of our transfer destination LAX (Los Angeles) in the early morning light.


Aloha!

2 comments:

  1. Strange picture of you Cat!
    You seem to have grown incredilbly big feet overnight.Even your socks are oversized.
    Big turtles! Poor thing having to endure this for a bit of limu.
    How big was the octopus you saw?
    Very nice picture of the fruit on the cloth!
    The rambutans look like hairy lychees indeed.
    Strange wooden carvings.
    The last picture is one of my favourites. It has that Hopper like early mornign light quality.
    It's been an amazing trip.
    Loved it from start till end.
    xxx

    Joeve

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely an amazing trip ... one of my favorite trips ever!

    The octopus wasn't very big, smaller than a soccer ball, but so cool!

    ReplyDelete