Sunday, February 10, 2013

Day 3: Shark Cage Adventure and Surfing Chocolates


We have another cool excursion planned today, but we need to get to the harbor and our car is blocked in in the driveway. We text Cab -- no response. We knock on his door -- nothing. We knock on his roommate's door -- cursing. More cursing ....

Shit.

Why didn't I think to leave earlier?! Desperate now we spot Cab's bicycles .... he'd mentioned something about borrowing them yesterday and although we had no intention of doing so, now seems like a pretty good time. We call the tour company in a bit of a panic and explain the situation and bless them they will hold the boat for me if we can get there quickly.

We peddle our rickety bikes as fast as we dare -- which given the mostly decorational status of the brakes and lack of helmets is quite a scary proposition -- and somehow make it in time.

Everyone is already aboard when we get to the harbor and I feel both grateful and embarrassed that they waited for me. Let the shark cage adventure begin!!



The seas are still high and I notice some of my compadres turning green around the gills. Pills are taken; ginger is passed around; and soon people are hanging over the railings. Goody! The crew pass around buckets and water while sharing cool shark facts with those of us still holding on to our breakfasts. Of course, it only gets worse when we are docked at the location of our "dive."


Thankfully I have my wetsuit vest with me because it is ridiculously cold when we get in the water and SO rough. I'm getting thrown around the cage like a rag doll until I manage to find a place to brace myself and that doesn't stop the others from banging into me. Visibility is a bit iffy cause of all the bubbles but there they are!! I love sharks! I try to snap a picture but after unexpectedly meeting the cage a few times my already nearly defunct camera takes its last shot. Arrgghh!


More puking on the way back, but the first thing I want after getting back on dry land is breakfast. Maybe I'm growing sea legs after all!

Luckily we are able to swap our bikes for the car when we get back. Cab's there and offers us some home grown passion fruit from his vine. Yummy!

Time for a late breakfast at Kono's. This place has amazing pulled pork breakfast sandwiches.



Time for my first surf lesson; I splurged and paid full price for a lesson with the #1 rated operator Uncle Surrat who also has someone take pics. It's an overcast drizzly afternoon and as luck would have it no one else shows up so I get a privately lesson!

My instructor is nice, but socially awkward and I can't help but feel that he is flirting with me in a strange way haha. But hey, I'm surfing so it's all good. It's cool actually because he tows me over to a small local break called Chocolate's that only happens when the surf is big. It's a sandy bottom (which I love) with chocolate brown waters from river water mixing in the ocean.



It's quiet over there with just a few local surfers and paddle boarders gliding down gentle waves. It takes me a few tries to get the hang of it again but then it starts to click again and I'm having a blast riding them all the way in.



Paddle back to the line up was killer though and I was only too happy to be offered a tow back.



Got a couple of pro shots out of it too!






Famished again, we pick up plate lunches from Macky's shrimp truck. Lots of yummy options; we decide to split an order of lemon pepper shrimp and one garlic butter, both served with rice and a side salad.

There's supposed to be a surfing competition at Sunset Beach, but as you can see ... it was over by the time we got there :-( Still a beautiful spot to enjoy our lunch.



On our way back into Haleiwa we stop at a turtle beach by the side of the road. Volunteers have roped off the area and put out placards with information about the turtles resting on the beach.

Kekoa (front) and Brutus (back)


Kekoa, a 15-20 year old "juvenile" of unknown gender that's been coming to the beach since 2010


Brutus, a 35-40 year old male weighing in around 180lbs

 


Looks like we'll have another nice sunset tonight!


I purposely booked extra nights in Haleiwa so we could explore town (ok, and to have an extra surfing lesson haha). This place is so cute!




Time for more shave ice .... Aoki's!



Sunset from Haleiwa Harbor ... yep, definitely another nice one!



Must have had dinner somewhere, but neither of us remember where so it must not have been memorable. I did find a receipt for the Malama Market grocery store but I think we just picked up some fruit and snacks. Weird.

Couple of pictures of our quirky place:
Kitchen floor

The mirror! Haha.
 
Living room
 
 
Think I could make it through a single day of surfing without getting hurt? Nope :-(


Breakfast: Kono
Lunch: Macky's
Snack: Aoki's Shave Ice
Dinner: ?

Hotel: AirBNB

1 comment:

  1. Hey,

    You used to get seasick too. Did you grow over it, surfing the waves or did you take pills?
    Shark cage adventure. Is that nice? In a cage with sharks around you? yuk, not my cup of tea.
    The surfing looks cool, you're getting quite good at it.
    Sunset beach is lovely, the colour of the sky, the sea and the beautiful ocre colour of the sand. very nive
    picture!
    Why are the turtles coming to the beach? Resting, laying eggs?
    The place you rented is quirky and very personal too, but I would prefer it to the motels where every room has the same dreary quality.
    Love and xxxxxxxx,

    Joeve

    ReplyDelete