Thursday, February 21, 2013

Day 14: more snorkeling at Black Rock


* cellphone pictures only *

It's our last full days in Maui and we still haven't seen the sunrise at Haleakala ... and we won't this morning either. Yeah, I'm kind of bummed about it too, but the thought of getting up super early to witness what could be the most fantastic sunset ever ... or a cloudy morning ... it's just not how we want to spend our last day. We'll just have to come back for it!

So, instead we head back out to our favorite spot: the Sheraton at Black Rock. It's not a great beach day by Maui standards, but we're not about to let a little rain spoil our plans.




The wind picks up and ominous clouds are heading our way


So we rent an umbrella! The even set it up for us ... not a bad deal if you're planning to spend several hours at the beach.



Maybe it's because there are less people in the water, or maybe it was just a fluke but I ended up having one of the best snorkeling sessions ever when I found myself surrounded by not one, but four giant sea turtles. Not sure why they were so interested in me but I loved watching them come over to check me out. It was such a magical moment that I'm glad Sandy saw the movies before I lost them or I might've wondered if it had really happened.

Later that afternoon one of the turtles makes its ways over to a crowded section and is quickly surrounding by tourists jockeying to get as close as possible with some even trying to touch it! Not cool (and illegal)! Please respect the turtles and give them their space.

We cap the day by driving to Lahaina for one more meal at Cheeseburger in Paradise. No pictures except of one of their retro posters



After dinner we walk around for a while longer, talking about the amazing week we've just shared and how much we've fallen in love with the island. If you'd asked me last year what my least favorite island is I wouldn't have hesitated to tell you Maui ... but what a difference a year makes. No wonder their motto means Maui is the best:

"Maui no ka oi"


 It's late but we don't want the night to end so we wander in and out of the many art galleries looking for a memento. DeRubeis, Clark Little, Tabora, Peter Lik, the choices are endless ...


Unfortunately, the money is not, so we select a small picture of an classic Hawaiian surfboard fence at Diamond Head Gallery that will go up on the wall of our game room.

A quick stop at the ABC store later we can't stretch things any longer. Until next time, Lahaina!



2 comments:

  1. Hello darlings,
    what a pity you lost the pictures of the giant sea turtles.
    The retro poster is beautiful. I love the text: the amazingtruth about surf and love, romance and adventure awaits you! Maybe I should do some workouts after all and give it a try.
    xxxx

    Joeve

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should try it! There's nothing quite like catching a wave and gliding across the ocean

    ReplyDelete