Monday, February 11, 2013

Day 4: Surfing and North Shore drive

We really enjoyed our breakfast yesterday so why not go back? Kono’s it is! I think we split the breakfast slider trio consisting of three buttermilk biscuit sliders with scrambled eggs, cheese, and breakfast meat: portuguese sausage, bacon or kalua pig. Also a pineapple boat (=spear) for me. Yummy!




Last year I was able to get a great deal of surfing lessons through Groupon so thanks to Groupon I have a surfing lesson scheduled for today as well.

I'm supposed to meet my instructor at another beginner friendly surf spot called Chun's Reef. It's a bit tricky to find and we don't see anyone that looks like a surf instructor. Hmm. There's a  beautiful rainbow over the churning water ... whoa, that surf looks kind of rough!! Gulp.



After a few terse minutes I get a call from my instructor. Can we meet her at Puena Point instead? Phew, yes please! I prefer not to go through the spin cycle that is Chun's Reef this morning.


Puena Point! We have arrived ... surf boards everywhere :)


 
Familiar path down the beach

We briefly touch upon the basics and then paddle out. After some nice long rides she decides to teach me some fun tricks instead, like jumping from facing one way to the other stance. Not easy, but I'm having a lot of fun trying.




Here comes the rain!


 
She also tells me to check out the beginner surf boards at Costco since they're pretty much indestructible (update: thanks, I love my Costco board!!)

With all of yesterday's paddling coupled with today's (more since she doesn't tow me out as much) my arms are quickly turning to jello! I even take a few breaks just sitting on the board enjoying the water, because I can't quite convince my arms to move.

The peanut gallery

When the lesson is over I am spent! And starving, but I don't want to leave the beach just yet because today is our last day in Haleiwa and I know we won't be back for a while. Love the sea turtles bobbing in the waves close to shore. I keep begging Sandy for more time ... just a little more ... a few more minutes ...




Lunch is just across the street at Jamieson's by the Sea where I think I may have gotten a tuna burger again? Really liked it last time so I imagine I would've gotten the same thing. Such a nice place to eat outside!



View from the patio

We pick up our stuff at the house, then head North on route 83 so we'll drive all the way around the northern tip of Oahu before getting to our new destination Kailua.

Fresh fruit at the farmers market

Random beautiful beach

Forget where this was. We'd planned to go hiking here but it was really muddy and getting late.

 
Waimea Bay?

 
Ominous clouds at Pounders (aptly named for the rough seas beating on the cliffs). It's been on and off cloudy and rainy all day today, but that's what gives Hawaii those beautiful rainbows and makes it so green.


Our trusty little car

Random mountain range

Chinaman's Hat off in the distance



Yes, lots of cloudy skies. I wish the weather would've cooperated more so we could have spent more time exploring, but with all the driving we were a bit short on time as it was.

Our next lodging is with Doug & Byrd in Kailua. The GPS directs us through a beautiful neighborhood -- imagine our delight when it deposits us at a big canalfront home! What a fantastic place to stay and we couldn't have asked for sweeter hosts.

Our street

After checking in Doug hands us a key to the gated beach. Yep, pretty exclusive area we landed in; this is where Obama vacations as well -- it's that nice!

Just enough light left for a couple of quick pictures. More pix tomorrow!




No ABC store by the house so it's time to hit the grocery store. We drive into downtown Kailua and my first thought is; if I were to move to Hawaii today this would probably be where I'd go. All the big city conveniences with a Hawaiian flair.

I let Tripadvisor direct us to the Uahi Island Grill for dinner. Wow, wow, wow ... it never steers me wrong, but this has to be one of my favorite finds. Sandy gets the lemongrass fish with white rice and I order the irie salad and a lilikoi tea. Hmm hmmm ... when can we go back??



Breakfast: Kono's
Lunch: Jamieson's by the Sea
Dinner: Uahi Island Grill

Lodging: AirBNB Doug & Byrd

1 comment:

  1. Hello darlings,

    What a lovely boats with the little points at the front and the orange lining.
    The vegetation is rather lush, does that mean that it rains a lot? Oh yes, read it.
    What a nice little car.
    Hawai is a remarkable island, it has so many different faces. I would like to go there once.
    See you next day,
    xxxxxxxx,

    Joeve

    ReplyDelete